Thursday, April 3, 2008

Now What????

OK, I've started this thingie, so I suppose I should carry on.... So, last night I'm talking to my Son on the telephone, and he says something so off the wall I think, "Where does he get that?" (and then he fusses at me for not agreeing with him....) I told Daughter Number One his comment, and her reaction was, "What's wrong with him? How did he get like that?" So we began to wonder how three children can grow up in the same house, with the same parents, eat the same food, drink the same water, go to the same church, school, soccer games, baseball games, etc., and still turn out to have such differing opinions on basic beliefs. Hmmmm..... It may always be a mystery..... So, he'll vote for one candidate, and I'll vote for another one - that's the democratic process! Now, don't get the wrong idea... I have three wonderful grown-up children that I love bunches and bunches, and they are all my favorite child in some way. I just don't happen to agree with everything they believe, and I never will. I'm old enough for people to just stop trying to convince me to change my mind, and I've seen, done and learned way more than my children have, so maybe I'm a little smarter than they think I am..... They'll figure that out someday... I'm really glad they are individual thinkers, though, even if they don't think the same things I do.

ANYWAY, I also have the bestest grandchildren in the world! Grandson Number One was hilarious during the Easter Egg roundup we had at Grandma's house (now, just for clarification, Grandma is NOT me, she is my Mom, so technically she is GreatGrandma to him, but that's just too hard for a barely two-year young lad to try to say...) Last year's Easter Egg roundup was really his first one, but he wasn't quite walking, so didn't really get the idea. THIS year, however, as a fully two-year old kid, he totally 'got' the "Easter Eggs are full of CANDY" idea! He was so serious and intent on opening each and every egg to investigate the prize within that he really didn't roundup a huge amount of eggs. He didn't seem to care, as long as there was always one more... All us grown-ups got such a giggle watching him, meticulously opening each egg, picking out every last piece of candy and putting them one by one into his basket, closing the egg and then looking up at his mommy and saying, "more?" (except it actually comes out like "mowah?" , a totally two-syllable Texas drawl word!) Grandkids are so great!

Well, thanks for looking in, see you next time!

1 comment:

... said...

So we began to wonder how three children can grow up in the same house, with the same parents, eat the same food, drink the same water, go to the same church, school, soccer games, baseball games, etc., and still turn out to have such differing opinions on basic beliefs.

In my opinion, independent thinking is the hallmark of being an adult. When you begin to form your own opinions, irrespective of your parents opinions, is when you come into your own.

This doesn't mean you disrespect the views and opinions of your parents, rather, their opinions and values helped form who you are, who you've become. We can disagree, but still have love. It seems to me that there's a certain candidate in the current race for the presidency who has had to painfully talk about this publicly. I respect what that politician said about this so much, that it caused me to rally to their cause even more. I don't know if this person will win, and in truth, it doesn't even matter. The two front-running candidates (currently) and both top notch intelligent people, and I respect them both. I just happen to agree with one, over the other.

I was talking to a friend of mine in Texas via chat the other day, and I likened this candidates problem with his friend saying what he did, to he and I. He is voting for one candidate, and holds vastly different views about the world around him than I do...but I would still defend him because he is my friend. I'd do the same for my brother and sisters. Though we may disagree strongly about some basic beliefs, I'd defend them to the death and NEVER disown them. You don't disown family, or sons, or fathers/father figures, or mothers, or pastors, even when they mess up. Love's like that, I think.