Monday, September 27, 2010

What is Faith?

Interesting question, isn't it? Mine is being stretched, strained and strengthened these days. God has placed many wonderful people in my life who are encouraging me, praying for me and mentoring me through this process, and I thank Him every day for those who have "made it through" the types of struggles I am facing... with faith as their shield...

So, back to my original question, what is faith, anyway? There is an old acrostic I learned in Sunday School, Forsaking All I Take Him, but that doesn't really tell me what faith is, it tells me what I must do that shows my faith...

Then there is the biblical definition, Faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see. (Hebrews 11:1) In this case, I suppose I do have some measure of faith, because I am sure of Christ's return (what we hope for) and certain of the existence of things I cannot see...

How then, does FAITH make people well? (Jesus told several people that their faith had healed them...) Are there different kinds of faith? Does my faith in things I cannot see really extend to the unseen hand of healing? ...or the miraculous provision of needs? ...or the restoration of a lost sheep to the fold?

Lord, continue to strengthen my faith, even though this time of testing is difficult and painful... I do have faith that all will work out according to your plan... help me to properly wield the shield of faith to defeat the attacks of the enemy... give me strength to persevere... and wisdom to know when to move on...

No comments: